Papplewick PARISH HISTORY

 PAPPLEWICK POST OFFICE


Papplewick village post office opened in about 1895.  The first postmistress, Mrs Elizabeth Mills, served for 45 years before her death in 1938.  The Post Office survived until 7th October 1970, when it closed for the last time.  The building has now been converted into a house.

  return to home

This extract is taken from the 25" OS map for 1915, sheet 33.9
The Post Office was on the west side of Main Street, just south of the sharp bend.  In this view from the south, the post office is the building on the left.
 

This view was taken in around 1970, just before it closed.

This view was taken in 1985.  The newer stone to the right of the building, shows where the post box used to be.

Return to top / return to the menu page