Papplewick PARISH HISTORY

 HOWE MONUMENT

logo

For many years, the Howe monument stood in the plantation to the east of Mansfield Road (A60) at SK568.523. In 2003 it was moved and rebuilt onto a new plinth during work to extend the nearby sand quarry.

It commemorates the victory of forces commanded by Lord Howe at the Battle of Ushant in June 1794. The inscription reads "Howe Plantation June 1794"




Howe obelisk
howe obelisk drawing

Return to top / return to the menu page